Posts Tagged ‘Down Syndrome Guild of Southeast Michigan’
On December 17, 2013 at 5 PM the halls of Sunrise of Bloomfield at 2080 S. Telegraph Rd, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302 will be echoing with the sweet sounds of the Down Syndrome Guild of Southeast Michigan’s budding singers, dancers and actors as directed by the 4th Wall Theatre Company. These talented young people’s performance will include singing Christmas carols and a holiday-themed play that they helped write. They are very excited to share the joy of the season with Sunrise’s residents and staff.
Paulette Duggins, Executive Director of the Down Syndrome Guild of Southeast Michigan (DSGSEMI) explains, “We partner with the 4th Wall Theatre Company on an ongoing basis to give our young singers, actors and dancers the opportunity to learn about theatre and, more importantly, themselves. We also are fortunate to have an enthusiastic and supportive audience at Sunrise Senior Living which inspires them to confidently put themselves out there.”
The 4th Wall Theatre Company is a theatre program specifically designed for children with special needs. “Their staff travels to the DSGSEMI’s venue to give our children an enriching theatre experience in a familiar environment,” Duggins elaborates. “Our kids can practice social interaction while they learn theater skills like voice projection and clarity, eye contact, and turn taking,” she adds. Each six week course incorporates music and movement therapy during the process of creating a final showcase performance for family, friends and the community.
The Down Syndrome Guild of Southeast Michigan is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to supporting people affected by Down syndrome from prenatal diagnosis through adulthood.
Established in 1989, it has a successful history of responding to the changing needs of individuals with Down syndrome and their families. The organization serves individuals, families, caregivers, educators and medical personnel in nine counties in southeast Michigan. To learn more please visit www.DSGSEMI.org .
# # #
If you would like more information, or to schedule an interview with Paulette Duggins, please call (248) 556-5341 or e-mail info@DSGSEMI.org.
- Warrior Moms Pajama Party
- April 26th and 27th, 2015
- Columbiere Conference Center
- 9075 Biglake Road, Clarkston, MI 48346
- To order tickets please go to www.HealingComplexKids.org
- Michigan Science Center:
- Hearing Impaired Week
- September 23-25, 2015
- They’ll have tactile activities, interpreters, and printed transcripts available throughout the museum for visitor’s with hearing loss.
- Vision Impaired Week
- October 7-9, 2015
- Visitors with vision loss can get hands-on with large print scavenger hunts and guided tours.
- Sensory Friendly Week
- October 28-30
- Enjoy special activities geared specifically for children with sensory challenges along with modified lighting and sound throughout the Science Center.
- Down Syndrome Guild of Southeast Michigan’s Step Up for Down Syndrome Walk
- September 26, 2015
- Woodside Bible Church
- 6600 Rochester Rd.
- Troy, MI